Would you help us improve our website by answering a few short questions? It takes just 5 minutes. Start the surveyExternal link.

Information for
[ enrolled students ]
What is your study programme?

Are you experiencing undesirable behaviour?

Last modified on 09-02-2023
Are you experiencing undesirable behaviour such as bullying, sexual harassment, aggression or discrimination, or are you being treated unjustly? The confidential adviser can advise you.
Show information for your study programme
You're currently viewing general information. Choose your study programme to see additional information that's specific to your study programme, such as deadlines, regulations and contact details.
What is your study programme?

Undesirable behaviour can lead to stress and psychological or physical symptoms, so it's crucial to discuss the situation with someone before things get out of hand. You can always turn to your lecturer, study adviser or confidential adviser.

Undesirable behaviour during lectures or tutorials

If you encounter undesirable behaviour during a lecture or tutorial, your lecturer is the first point of contact. Would you prefer not to approach your lecturer? You can also speak with your study adviser, who can pass your complaint on to the College/Graduate School director if you wish. Or speak to a confidential adviser, who is there to listen and help you find a solution if that's what you want. Undesirable behaviour can take place in lecture halls, but it can also take place online during lectures or tutorials.

Undesirable behaviour by a fellow student

Do you have a conflict or problem with a fellow student or are you being treated disrespectfully by a fellow student? You can contact your lecturer or study adviser. You can also turn to the confidential adviser. The behaviour does not necessarily need to have occurred at a UvA location.

What can you expect from our confidential advisers?

Confidential advisers offer support to anyone experiencing study-related undesirable behaviour and can help you figure out how to stop it from happening or prevent the situation from getting any worse. If necessary, the confidential adviser will refer you to a professional counsellor. They can also help you file a formal complaint with the Complaints Committee. Everything you discuss with the confidential adviser is confidential. The confidential adviser will only take action if you have authorised them to do so.

Study delay due to undesirable behaviour 

If your studies are delayed because of bullying, contact the student counsellor.

Mental health problems caused by undesirable behaviour 

If you have mental health problems due to bullying, contact the student psychologist.