What is your study programme?
Information for
[ enrolled students ]
What is your study programme?


Last modified on 19-12-2023 09:48
You can contact the ombudsperson to discuss structural problems or abuses in private. The ombudsperson will make recommendations to improve the situation.
Show information for your study programme
You're currently viewing general information. Choose your study programme to see additional information that's specific to your study programme, such as deadlines, regulations and contact details.
What is your study programme?

You can contact the ombudsperson if you're experiencing structural transgressive behaviour, are confronted with an unjust application of rules or procedures, or if you suspect an integrity violation or misconduct, for example. The ombudsperson looks at structural problems within the organisation and advises the University on improvements. The ombudsperson is independent and impartial.

What does the ombudsperson do?

If you report an issue to the ombudsperson, they can support you in various ways:

  • Registering your complaint
  • Personal and independent advice
  • Advice to the faculty where you’re enrolled
  • Mediation
  • Starting an investigation
  • Referring you to someone who can help you find a solution
  • Making a recommendation to the Executive Board or the faculty dean

You can choose to only have your complaint registered. If there are several complaints, the ombudsman can initiate an investigation. The ombudsperson identifies patterns or developments within the UvA and advises the Executive Board, deans or the Secretary on this.

The ombudsperson has a duty of confidentiality and will always treat your complaint confidentially. Your name will not be disclosed without your permission.

Difference between the ombudsperson and confidential advisers

Confidential advisers offer individual support, help and guidance for finding a solution in cases of undesirable behaviour. They can also support you in holding difficult discussions or taking formal steps (with the Complaints Committee, for example).

I don't know where to report an issue

That's okay. The confidential adviser and the ombudsperson will consult each other if necessary. Read more about the ombudsperson on the UvA websiteExternal link.