Would you help us improve our website by answering a few short questions? It takes just 5 minutes. Start the surveyExternal link.

Information for
[ enrolled students ]
What is your study programme?

Financial assistance in the event of study completion delays due to force majeure

Last modified on 15-09-2022
Have you incurred a study completion delay due to force majeure? If so, you may qualify for financial assistance or an extension of your student grant.
Show information for your study programme
You're currently viewing general information. Choose your study programme to see additional information that's specific to your study programme, such as deadlines, regulations and contact details.
What is your study programme?

Applying for financial assistance

If you have incurred a study completion delay due to illness, disability or other circumstances beyond your control, please contact your study adviser as soon as possible in order to discuss your situation and study planning and determine whether you are eligible for financial compensation. The study adviser will file a report on your study completion delay after the consultation so that you can apply for financial assistance at the end of the academic year. 

If you meet the preconditions, you can submit an application to the student counsellor between 1 September and 31 December of the academic year following your 'study completion delay year'.

Financial assistance options

There are two forms of financial assistance: an allowance from the UvA Profiling Fund or an extension of your study grant by DUO. A contribution from the UvA Profiling Fund consists of a fixed amount for each month of study completion delay (€300) plus any additional grants. You can apply for an additional year of student grants and student public transport via DUO. Consult with the student counsellor to figure out the best option for your situation.

Financial assistance requirements

  • The study completion delay was incurred due to personal circumstances occurring during the expected period needed to complete your degree programme.
  • You receive a performance-related grant from DUO for the nominal duration of your degree programme (visit Mijn DUOExternal link to check whether you are still within the period covered by the performance-related grant; the student loan period does not fall within this period.) If you are not entitled to a student grant or loan from DUO based on your nationality, but are studying for your first Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and have not incurred any study completion delay, you should discuss your application with the student counsellor.
  • If you are not entitled to a study grant from DUO, due to your nationality, but are studying within the nominal study duration of your first bachelor or master, please discuss your application with the student counsellor.  
  • You notified the study adviser of the relevant personal circumstances within three months of their occurrence. The 'Notification of study completion delay' form is available from your study adviser.

Not sure whether you meet the requirements? Discuss your situation with the student counsellor.


Student counsellors

You can contact the student counsellors for a confidential conversation about your personal situation and your study progress. Please check our conditions for guidance here.

Contact details