What is your study programme?
Information for
[ enrolled students ]
What is your study programme?

Study completion delay due to force majeure

Last modified on 19-08-2023 00:03
Have you incurred a study completion delay due to force majeure? On this page you can find where to go to with your questions.
Show information for your study programme
You're currently viewing general information. Choose your study programme to see additional information that's specific to your study programme, such as deadlines, regulations and contact details.
What is your study programme?

What is a study completion delay due to force majeure? 

The 'term study completion delay due to force majeure' implies that you obtained fewer ECTS credits as a result of exceptional personal circumstances that have arisen or have been discovered during this academic year.

Examples are:

Financial assistance

Are you experiencing study completion delay due to a situation mentioned above, then you may qualify for financial assistance.

Visit your study adviser 

An important first step is that you contact your study adviser as quickly as possible. In any case, do this within three months after the circumstance in question that causes the study completion delay, commences. Together with your study adviser you determine whether you can adjust your schedule, take it easy for a while, or temporarily terminate your enrolment. The study adviser can also refer you to other support services.

International students with a residence permit

Students from non-EU/EEA countries with a residence permit based on study, are required to obtain at least 50% of the ECTS-credits of their full-time study programme. If you do not reach the 50% threshold, the UvA will verify whether there is a valid reason for you to be exempted from the threshold. If you're not exempted, the UvA has to inform the Immigration and Naturalisation Department (IND) about this, with the withdrawal of your student residence permit as a consequence.

Are you in danger of not reaching the threshold? Please contact your study adviser to discuss your situation. They may refer you to a student counsellor.


Note: please select your study programme

Contact details