What is your study programme?

Support for students with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)

Last modified on 16-05-2022
If you have an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), you may benefit from additional support and assistance during your studies. The UvA offers student counselling and facilities.
Show programme-specific information
You're currently viewing general information. Choose your study programme to see additional information that's specific to your study programme, such as deadlines, regulations and contact details.
What is your study programme?

Student counselling

What does student counselling look like?

  • You will be allocated a designated counsellor, who you will meet at designated times.
  • You discuss your study activities and any problems you have encountered. Together with your counsellor, you draw up a study plan.
  • The counsellor will also be able to help you if you find it difficult to talk to lecturers, study advisers or student counsellors.

Registering for student counselling

If you want to register for student counselling, the procedure is as follows:

  • You will need a diagnosis issued by a mental health care institution, a psychologist in private practice or a psychiatrist. You can also register if you receive outpatient treatment from a mental health care institution.
  • Send an email to Academic Student CounsellingExternal link. They will send back a registration form.
  • After you have completed and submitted this form, a student psychologist will contact you to discuss whether the student counselling we offer is right for you. Student counselling is free of charge.

If you have not received a diagnosis, but have complaints that are consistent with ASD, you can always book an appointment with one of our student psychologists for a chat.

Requesting a facility

The UvA offers a variety of facilities. If you want to use a facility that you are entitled to, make sure that you request it on time.