- As a new student at the UvA, you first have to request a Student ID card. You can apply for your student ID card one month before you start at UvA. In order to apply for your student ID card you need your UvAnetID (every new student receives an email with an UvAnetID and password).
- Go to myuvacard to upload your passport photo for the Student ID card.
Please note: you need a laptop or desktop to upload your photo on myuvacard.
Please ensure that your passport photo meets at least the following requirements:
- It must be a clear, recent passport-quality passport photo. The photo must be clear and detailed and must provide sufficient contrast (not too light or too dark).
- It must be a good likeness of you.
- The file must be a JPEG file.
- The file must be no smaller than 50 KB and no bigger than 3 MB.
- Your face (chin, mouth, nose, eyes and eyebrows) must be fully visible, even with head covering, and you must be facing forwards.
- The main part of the photo must be your face.
- The photo must be of one person only.
- The photo can be colour or black and white.
- Photos with a Snapchat (or similar) filter are not permitted.
Please note: Your student ID card also serves as a proof of identity. When you use an unclear or unusable picture your student ID card will not be considered valid.
- If you applied for your student card, you will receive your card at home at the address you provided. This always happens the week after you have applied for the card.
Please note: If you registered an international address, you will receive an email on when and where to come and collect it. Please bring along a valid ID.
- To use the functionalities on the card, you first have to activate your ID card online. Log in to myuvacard (switch to English via the button at the top) and choose 'Activate' at card options. Your student ID card is now ready for use. This can be done up to May 1th 2021. After May 1th you can only activate the card at one of the service desks. Please bring along a valid ID.
- If you have requested a replacement card, you cannot activate it online. This must be done at one of the service points.
Please note: Most service desks are closed due to the corona measures, so activation can be done if the service desks are opened again. For this you need a valid proof of identity (ID, passport, driver's license). The locations of the service points and adjusted opening hours can be found below.
- The service desks remain open during holidays, teaching-free periods, and Covid-19, though probably with adjusted opening hours.
Please note: You will need to activate your student ID card so that you can use it to make payments.