In order to work securely in a digital environment, follow the ten golden rules listed below.
1. Make sure you have proper basic security . At the very minimum, this means: antivirus software, a firewall and the most recent software updates.
2. Never leave your computer, laptop or tablet unattended. Lock your screen if you are away for any length of time. On a Windows OS, press the Ctrl-Alt-Delete or Windows key +L(ock) keyboard shortcuts.
3. Create a unique, strong password for your UvA-net ID and never share it with others.
4. Change your password at least once a year. This is obligatory and you will be reminded to do so automatically.
5. Watch out for phishing and ransomware (spam). Learn to recognise suspicious emails before it's too late using these tips.
6. To store documents, data and personal information securely, we recommend that you use Microsoft 365 OneDrive. Do you still want to store important or confidential data on your laptop, USB memory stick or in the cloud? In that case, you must personally ensure you make back-ups, use secure USB sticks and/or encrypt your files before you save them in the cloud.
7. Also secure your mobile phone and tablet.
8. Whenever using open Wi-Fi networks (in the train, cafés, etc.) always use a secure connection through VPN. Without a secure connection, others can track your every move! Do you use Wi-Fi inside UvA buildings? Choose one of the secure networks – either 'eduroam' or 'uva'.