Would you help us improve our website by answering a few short questions? It takes just 5 minutes. Start the surveyExternal link.

Information for
[ enrolled students ]
What is your study programme?

Study Progress Monitoring

Last modified on 31-05-2023
Show information for your study programme
You're currently viewing general information. Choose your study programme to see additional information that's specific to your study programme, such as deadlines, regulations and contact details.
What is your study programme?

Apply for dispensation

One of the criteria for a residence permit for study is sufficient study progress. Sufficient study progress means that you must obtain at least 50% of the required EC’s each academic year. If you start your academic year in September, you will need to obtain at least 30 EC’s before 31 August, as each year has a total study load of 60 EC. If you start your programme in February, you must obtain at least 15 EC by 31 August. More information on link.

It is possible that you experience some delay in your studies due to external events that influence your studies. If you feel that you have a valid reason for not reaching the minimum amount of EC, you can submit a request for dispensation from Study Progress Monitoring (SPM).

The reason must be in the order of severe personal circumstances, like:

  • (Chronic) illness
  • (Physical or sensory) disability
  • Pregnancy and childbirth
  • Exceptional family circumstances (such as the loss or illness of a relative)
  • Educational circumstances beyond your control

These are called 'excusable reasons'. Each circumstance listed above may only be cited once as a reason for insufficient academic progress during your studies at the UvA.

The deadline to submit a request for dispensation is 13 August 2023, at the latest, via the link below:

Submit your request hereExternal link



  • The statement(s) may only be submitted in English, Dutch, French or German. If not, it must be translated (in English, French or German) by a certified translator, provided with a signature etc.
  • It must be clear in the document in which period the (medical) circumstance took place.
  • The document must always have a date on it.
  • If your doctor, specialist or therapist declines to provide a declaration, the student counsellor can prepare a letter for you that explains why you are requesting the declaration. This will help your doctor, specialist or therapist understand why you need a declaration.

(Chronic) illness, physical or sensory disability

You'll need to provide either a printout of your medical file or a signed statement from your GP or medical specialist. This document should describe your diagnosis and explain how it might affect your ability to study.

If you have AD(H)D or ASD, you'll need to provide a signed statement from a psychiatrist or a declaration from a BIG-registered GZ-psychologist.

Pregnancy and childbirth

Provide a printout of a birth certificate or a birth announcement with your name on it.

Exceptional family circumstances (such as the loss or illness of a relative)

Provide a document showing that a relative is ill, a copy of the death certificate or a funeral card. In other circumstances, provide a document showing that there are/were (medical) circumstances.

Educational circumstances beyond your control

Provide a document from your faculty explaining the circumstances. Please contact the study adviser to help you with this.

What happens next?

  • The study progress committee will decide whether you have a valid reason for not obtaining sufficient EC’s.
  • You will receive feedback on your request for dispensation from SPM before 1 September.
  • If your dispensation request is granted, the IND will not be informed. Read more on link.
  • If you do not receive a dispensation, you will be deregistered from the IND and you no longer have a valid residence permit. Read more on link.

If you disagree with the decision

If you have not been granted dispensation from SPM and you do not agree, you can file an objection. How to file an objection is explained in the email you'll receive in response to your request for dispensation.