Applying for an exchange programme
To make an informed decision about the destinations you would prefer, you need to collect as much information as possible, including the entry requirements. A good starting point is the page Orientation on an exchange programme.
One procedure, one deadline
Applying for an exchange has been made easier. We now have one procedure and one deadline for all of the UvA's exchange destinations.
Opportunities: three rounds, with five destinations per round
You will have three chances to apply for an exchange in the academic year 2024-2025. In each application round, you can register for up to five destinations. This should allow us to offer exchange opportunities to more students. For a comprehensive explanation and all restrictions surrounding this procedure, please go to "Check your possible destinations" on our Orientation page.
There are four important dates per round. The first is the starting date of the application period. The second is the closing date of the application period. After that, we will make you an offer of an exchange destination. The last date is the deadline for accepting or rejecting the offer.
How to apply
First, choose a maximum of five destinations for the next round of your application. Then, be sure to check the entry requirements and possible language requirements. Also, check out the courses you wish to attend. The last step is to fill out the application form.
We will check to see if you meet the entry requirements after the closing date of the application period. The reference date for checking GPAs (if applicable) is the day after the closing date. The first working day after closing of the application round, your weighted SIS GPA of obtained courses and obtained ECTS at the UvA will be assessed for all candidates who have submitted an application. Based on this check, your Faculty International Office will either approve or decline your application per destination. All approved destinations will be considered for the draw.
To make sure the process is fair, we use a draw to allocate destinations to students who meet the entry requirements. You will be entered into the draw for all of your approved destinations.
- We carry out the draw by allotting numbers randomly to all students who have entered with at least one approved destination.
- The order of the draw is also the order in which we allocate destinations. We will start with the entrant who draws number one.
- First, we will check what the first available destination is out of the maximum of five entered destinations. If it is indeed available, we allocate it to entrant number one.
- Next, we will repeat this process for each following entrant, starting with number two, then number three, and so on.
Accepting or rejecting the offer
Keep the important dates in mind to see by when you need to accept or reject the offer for your exchange destination.
- You can only accept once; this will be your exchange destination. Once you have accepted, you cannot enter a subsequent round.
- If you reject the offer, you can enter the next round.
- Always respond to an offer. If you do not respond, you cannot enter the next rounds.