What is your study programme?

Terminating your enrolment if you wish to quit your studies

Last modified on 31-01-2022
If you wish to quit your studies, you must terminate your enrolment via Studielink. You may be entitled to a refund of your tuition fees.
Show programme-specific information
You're currently viewing general information. Choose your study programme to see additional information that's specific to your study programme, such as deadlines, regulations and contact details.
What is your study programme?

Are you having second thoughts about your studies, and are you planning to quit? In the months of September to May, you can terminate your enrolment at any time via StudielinkExternal link. Your enrolment termination date will then be the first day of the month that follows your request for termination of enrolment. Any excess tuition fees that you have paid will automatically be refunded to you. 

You will only be entitled to a refund of your tuition fees if you terminate your enrolment via Studielink by 31 May at the latest. After that you don’t need to terminate your enrolment as, in that case, it will automatically be terminated on 31 August.

Step-by-step plan for terminating your enrolment and withdrawing from your course.

Once you have terminated your enrolment at the UvA:

  • you can no longer register your credits
  • you can no longer apply for your degree certificate
  • you will no longer be eligible for a student grant/loan or a student public transport pass
  • you cannot take courses at another institution based on Proof of Paid Tuition Fees (in Dutch: BBC)

Please note that you can continue to use your UvAnetID and the UvA’s facilities for 90 days after you have terminated your enrolment.

Non-EU students

If you are a non-EU student with a student residence permit, the UvA must forward your termination of enrolment to the IND within 4 weeks. This may affect your right of residency. If you have a query on this, please contact the UvA Immigration OfficeExternal link.


Central Student Service Desk (CSSD)

Do you have general questions about studying at the UvA, for instance, about your enrolment or tuition fee? Contact the CSSD. Want to request a document or have it signed? Fill in our contact form. 

Contact details