Contact a confidential adviser
- Accountancy and Control (master)
- Accountancy and Control (premaster)
- Actuarial Science (bachelor)
- Actuarial Science and Mathematical Finance (master)
- American Studies (master)
- Ancient Studies (bachelor)
- Arabische taal en cultuur (bachelor)
- Arbeidsrecht (master)
- Archaeology (bachelor), EN
- Archaeology (master)
- Archaeology (premaster)
- Archeologie (bachelor), NL
- Archival and Information Studies (duale master)
- Art and Performance Research Studies (research master)
- Artificial Intelligence (master)
- Bèta-gamma (bachelor)
- Biological Sciences (master)
- Biologie (bachelor)
- Biomedical Sciences (master)
- Biomedische wetenschappen (bachelor)
- BMS: Cell Biology and Advanced Microscopy (master)
- BMS: Cognitive Neurobiology and Clinical Neurophysiology (master)
- BMS: Developmental and Therapeutic Biology (master)
- BMS: Experimental Internal Medicine (master)
- BMS: Infection and Immunity (master)
- BMS: Medical Biochemistry and Biotechnology (master)
- BMS: Molecular Neurosciences (master)
- BMS: Oncology (master)
- BMS: Physiology of Synapses and Networks (master)
- BMS: Psychopharmacology and Pathophysiology (master)
- Boekwetenschap (master)
- Boekwetenschap (schakelprogramma)
- Brain and Cognitive Sciences (research master)
- BS: Ecology and Evolution (master)
- BS: Freshwater and Marine Biology (master)
- BS: General Biology (master)
- BS: Green Life Sciences (master)
- Business Administration (bachelor)
- Business Administration (master)
- Business Administration (premaster)
- Business Analytics (bachelor)
- Business Economics (master)
- Business Economics (premaster)
- Chemistry (master, joint degree)
- Chemistry (premaster)
- Chemistry: Analytical Sciences (master, joint degree)
- Chemistry: Molecular Sciences (master, joint degree)
- Chemistry: Science for Energy and Sustainability (master, joint degree)
- Child Development and Education (research master)
- Classics and Ancient Civilizations (master)
- Cognition, Language and Communication (bachelor)
- Commerciële rechtspraktijk (master)
- Communicatiewetenschap (bachelor)
- Communication and Information (duale master)
- Communication Science (bachelor)
- Communication Science (master)
- Communication Science (premaster)
- Communication Science (research master)
- Comparative Cultural Analysis (master)
- Comparative Literature (master)
- Computational Science (master, joint degree)
- Conflict Resolution and Governance (master)
- Conservation and Restoration of Cultural Heritage (master)
- Cultural Analysis (research master)
- Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology (bachelor)
- Culturele antropologie en ontwikkelingssociologie (bachelor)
- Cultuurwetenschappen (bachelor)
- Curating Art and Cultures (duale master)
- Data Science (master)
- Data Science and Business Analytics (master)
- Documentaire en fictie (duale master)
- Duits, Educatie en communicatie (master)
- Duits, Educatie en communicatie (schakelprogramma)
- Duitslandstudies (bachelor)
- Duitslandstudies (master)
- Earth Sciences (master)
- East European Studies (master)
- Econometrics (bachelor)
- Econometrics (master)
- Econometrics (premaster)
- Economics (master)
- Economics (premaster)
- Economics and Business Economics (bachelor)
- Engels, Educatie en communicatie (master)
- Engels, Educatie en communicatie (schakelprogramma)
- English Language and Culture (bachelor)
- English Literature and Culture (master)
- Entrepreneurship (master)
- ES: Environmental Management (master)
- ES: Future Planet Ecosystem Science (master)
- ES: Geo-Ecological Dynamics (master)
- European Competition Law and Regulation (master)
- European Policy (master)
- European Private Law (master)
- European Studies (bachelor)
- European Studies (premaster)
- European Union Law (master)
- Europese studies (bachelor)
- Exchange programme Humanities
- Film Studies (master)
- Filosofie (bachelor)
- Filosofie (master)
- Finance (master)
- Fiscaal Recht (bachelor)
- Fiscaal recht (master)
- Fiscale Economie (bachelor)
- Fiscale Economie (master)
- Fiscale Economie (premaster)
- Forensic Science (master)
- Frans, Educatie en communicatie (master)
- Frans, Educatie en communicatie (schakelprogramma)
- Franse taal en cultuur (bachelor)
- Future Planet Studies (bachelor)
- Geneeskunde (bachelor)
- Geneeskunde (master)
- General Linguistics (master)
- Geschiedenis (bachelor)
- Geschiedenis (master)
- Geschiedenis (research master)
- Geschiedenis (schakelprogramma)
- Geschiedenis van de internationale betrekkingen (master)
- Geschiedenis, Educatie en communicatie (master)
- Gezondheidsrecht (master)
- Gezondheidszorgpsychologie (master)
- Griekse en Latijnse taal en cultuur (bachelor)
- Hebreeuwse taal en cultuur (bachelor)
- Heritage and Memory Studies (duale master)
- Heritage, Memory and Archaeology (research master)
- Holocaust and Genocide Studies (master)
- Human Geography (master)
- Identity and Integration (master)
- Informatica (bachelor)
- Informatiekunde (bachelor)
- Informatierecht (master)
- Information Studies (master)
- Information Systems (master)
- Internationaal en Europees belastingrecht (master)
- International and Transnational Criminal Law (master)
- International Criminal Law - Joint programme with Columbia Law School (master)
- International Development Studies (master)
- International Development Studies (research master)
- International Dramaturgy (duale master)
- International Dramaturgy and Theatre Studies (premaster)
- International Tax Law (advanced master)
- International Trade and Investment Law (master)
- Italië Studies (bachelor)
- Jewish Studies (master)
- Journalism, Media and Globalisation (Erasmus Mundus Master's - joint degree)
- Journalistiek en media (duale master)
- Kunst, cultuur en politiek (master)
- Kunst, cultuur en politiek (schakelprogramma)
- Kunstgeschiedenis (bachelor)
- Kunstgeschiedenis (master)
- Kunstgeschiedenis (schakelprogramma)
- Kunstmatige intelligentie (bachelor)
- Language and Society (master)
- Language, Literature and Education (master)
- Language, Literature and Education (premaster)
- Latin American Studies (master)
- Latin American Studies (premaster)
- Law & Finance (master)
- Linguistics (bachelor)
- Linguistics (premaster)
- Linguistics and Communication (research master)
- Literary and Cultural Analysis (bachelor)
- Literary Studies (research master)
- Literature Studies (premaster)
- Literature, Culture and Society (master)
- Logic (master)
- Mathematics (master)
- Media and Culture (bachelor)
- Media and Information (bachelor)
- Media en cultuur (bachelor)
- Media Studies (premaster)
- Media Studies (research master)
- Medical Anthropology and Sociology (master)
- Medical informatics (master)
- Medische informatiekunde (bachelor)
- Midden-Oostenstudies (master)
- Midden-Oostenstudies (schakelprogramma)
- Militaire geschiedenis (master)
- Museum Studies (duale master)
- Music Studies (master)
- Music Studies (premaster)
- Muziekwetenschap (bachelor)
- Natuurkunde en sterrenkunde (bachelor, joint degree)
- Nederlands als tweede taal en meertaligheid (duale master)
- Nederlands als tweede taal en meertaligheid (schakelprogramma)
- Nederlands, Educatie en communicatie (master)
- Nederlands, Educatie en communicatie (schakelprogramma)
- Nederlandse taal en cultuur (bachelor)
- Nederlandse taal en cultuur (master)
- New Media and Digital Culture (master)
- Nieuwgriekse taal en cultuur (bachelor)
- Onderwijswetenschappen (bachelor)
- Onderwijswetenschappen (master)
- Oudheidwetenschappen (bachelor)
- P&A: Advanced Matter and Energy Physics (master, joint degree)
- P&A: Astronomy and Astrophysics (master, joint degree)
- P&A: Biophysics and Biophotonics (master, joint degree)
- P&A: General Physics and Astronomy (master, joint degree)
- P&A: GRAPPA - Gravitation, Astro-, and Particle Physics (master, joint degree)
- P&A: Science for Energy and Sustainability (master, joint degree)
- P&A: Theoretical Physics (master, joint degree)
- Pedagogical Sciences (master)
- Pedagogische wetenschappen (bachelor)
- Pedagogische wetenschappen (master)
- Philosophy (master)
- Philosophy (research master)
- Physics and Astronomy (master, joint degree)
- Political Science (bachelor)
- Political Science (master)
- Politicologie (bachelor)
- PPLE - Politics, Psychology, Law and Economics (bachelor)
- Preservation and Presentation of the Moving Image (duale master)
- Privaatrechtelijke rechtspraktijk (master)
- Psychobiologie (bachelor)
- Psychologie (bachelor), NL
- Psychologie (master), NL
- Psychology (bachelor), EN
- Psychology (master), EN
- Psychology (research master), EN
- Public International Law (master)
- Publieksgeschiedenis (master)
- Rechtsgeleerdheid (bachelor)
- Redacteur/editor (duale master)
- Religiewetenschappen (bachelor)
- Religious Studies (research master)
- Russische en Slavische studies (bachelor)
- Scheikunde (bachelor, joint degree)
- Security and Network Engineering (master)
- Sign Language Linguistics (bachelor)
- Sociologie (bachelor)
- Sociology (bachelor)
- Sociology (master)
- Software Engineering (master)
- Spaanse en Latijns-Amerikaanse studies (bachelor)
- Spirituality and Religion (master)
- Spirituality and Religion (schakelprogramma)
- Staats- en bestuursrecht (master)
- Stochastics and Financial Mathematics (master)
- Strafrecht (master)
- Taalwetenschappen (bachelor)
- Television and Cross-Media Culture (master)
- Theaterwetenschap (bachelor)
- Theatre Studies (master)
- Universitaire Pabo van Amsterdam (bachelor)
- Urban and Regional Planning (master)
- Urban Studies (research master)
- Vertalen (master)
- Vertalen (schakelprogramma)
- Wiskunde (bachelor)
Choose your own confidential adviser
You are free to contact any of the confidential advisers listed below. The person you choose does not need to be employed by your faculty. You can also call or email to arrange a Zoom or Skype meeting.
Find out more about how confidential advisers can help on our webpage confidential advisers: if you encounter undesirable behaviour.
Arjen Berkvens - coordinating confidential adviser
On 1 April, Arjen Berkvens started as coordinating confidential adviser at UVA. In this new position Arjen will make a contribution to the further expansion and professionalisation of the work of confidential advisers within the UVA.
'I am very motivated to do this work. It is of great importance that an organisation such as a university has a safe working environment. Undesirable behaviour can cause great damage to employees, students and the organisation as a whole. If someone experiences something unpleasant, it must be possible to report it in confidence.'
You can reach Arjen at A.Berkvens@uva.nl.
Dr E. (Eloe) Kingma has served as managing director of the Faculty of Humanities' Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis since 1994.
‘I have been the designated contact person for PhD students at the ASCA research school for many years now. Thanks to that experience, I am well aware that the power imbalances and sense of dependency so many university staff and students experience can lead to sensitive situations. I will be happy to help you deal with any conflicts and hopefully contribute to a more balanced relationship.
As confidential advisers, we also keep the Board and representative advisory bodies informed about any issues in the workplace. I encourage everyone who experiences undesirable behaviour to report it. We need to bring these issues to light so that the Board can restore and build trust by responding in an adequate and transparent manner.’
You can reach Eloe at E.Kingma@uva.nl or 020 525 38 74.
Professor M.T.C. (Marita) Mathijsen-Verkooijen is emeritus professor of Modern Dutch Literature at the Faculty of Humanities.
'Universities should offer a safe environment for both staff and students. No one should ever have to feel intimidated, discriminated against, threatened or excluded. However, upsetting incidents can still happen. If they do, it's important to seek out help. Our confidential advisers are here to help you find a way out of the situation. You can always turn to them for help, no matter how sensitive your situation may be. Our advisers are bound by confidentiality, so anything you discuss will stay between you and them.
As an emeritus professor (Modern Dutch Literature) with a zero-percent appointment, I believe I'm well positioned to play a valuable role as confidential adviser. I don't have any interests that could conflict with the issues that might come up. Sexual harassment, bullying, aggression and discrimination: I hope I can play my part in ensuring that these forms of undesirable behaviour are never tolerated at the University of Amsterdam.’
You can reach Marita at M.T.C.Mathijsen-Verkooijen@uva.nl or 020 525 47 23.
Dr Juliette L. Parlevliet is a clinical geriatrician at Amsterdam UMC and the coordinator of OVV-3 Bachelor's in Medicine. She has worked at the Faculty of Medicine for years and studied here herself.
'As a confidential adviser to students of Medicine (BA and MA), my aim is that together we can create an even better learning environment, one where we can hold each other to account about things that went wrong, and one where we are open to feedback on how things can come across. Just talking about a social safety incident with another person can already be very useful. Don’t hesitate to contact me.'
You can reach Juliette at email@example.com, 06-50051229.
Mirjam Koelewijn serves as an official secretary at College and Graduate School of Child Development and Education (Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences).
'I want to help create a good, healthy and safe learning and working environment and a pleasant atmosphere at the UvA. I am always happy to listen and offer guidance to any students experiencing undesirable and transgressive behaviour in the workplace or here at the university. Safety, thoroughness and transparency are extremely important to me and are central to my work as a confidential adviser. Having taken several courses in Nonviolent Communication, I have learned to tune in to the other person's feelings and concerns. I can quickly assess a situation and identify someone's feelings and needs. Those skills always come in handy during my work as a confidential adviser. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you are experiencing any form of undesirable behaviour. It's best to contact me by email. Send me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.'
You can reach Mirjam at M.G.Koelewijn@uva.nl or 020 525 47 07.
Myrthe van Amstel
Myrthe van Amstel, herself a UvA alumna, has been working at the UvA since 2017 and is currently a policy officer for education at the Faculty of Law. In the past, she has worked as an HR advisor, programme coordinator and teacher/education developer.
As a confidential advisor, she wants to offer colleagues and students an accessible opportunity to address undesirable behavior. Anyone who is confronted with undesirable behavior can come to her. Although it can feel like a big step to go to a confidant, Myrthe especially wants to emphasize that this is not the case. She also explicitly invites staff and students from other faculties to approach her. It turns out that a somewhat external view is sometimes pleasant.
No matter how different Myrthe's two functions may be, they have one important thing in common: improving the conditions for all students and staff: 'Every day I am committed to make studying and working at the UvA a little better.
You can reach Myrthe at M.vanAmstel@uva.nl or 020 525 6017.
Erik van Arkel
Erik van Arkel serves as operational management coordinator at the Faculty of Law's Public Law department and runs CATREAL.COM, a private company focused on increasing the resilience of people and organisations.
'I think it's important that students can learn in a safe environment and feel comfortable talking to their lecturers if something goes wrong. But I also know that there can be situations where that's difficult or impossible or where the person in question simply doesn't want to. In those cases, it's important to have someone else to confide in. As a confidential adviser, I always make sure to be accessible, open up a dialogue and listen without judging. Next, I try to help the person move forward and resolve the situation. In many cases, people have already tried to solve their own problems before contacting me. That's really not necessary as far as I'm concerned. People should feel free to bring up whatever is bothering them even if they haven't thought it all through yet.’
You can reach Erik at firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 525 34 51.
Inge van der Stap
Inge van der Stap works as a diversity officer and policy officer at the Faculty of Dentistry (ACTA).
'As a diversity officer, I try to create a safe and inclusive study and work environment where all students and staff feel safe and welcome. We want to make sure that everyone feels at home here and is free to develop their potential. I always try to listen without judging and ask constructive questions from a place of genuine interest. As a confidential adviser, I can support students and help them find potential solutions to their issues. You can also get in touch if you just need someone to listen.'
You can reach Inge at email@example.com or 06 115 35 302 (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday).
Gerrie Veenstra works as a general practitioner and teaches oral medicine at the Faculty of Dentistry (ACTA).
'I was a confidant to many patients during my time as a GP. I have heard a lot of personal stories, and some of my patients clearly didn't live in safe environments. Listening carefully, supporting people and helping them find solutions has always been an important part of my work, both during my time as a general practitioner and in my current role as a confidential adviser. Accessible and trusted. I hope I can help make the ACTA a safer place so that everyone gets to enjoy a pleasant working environment.'
You can reach Gerrie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 06 262 96 946 (Wednesday, Thursday).
Rixt Polder works as alumni relations project leader at the Alumni Relations Office and University Fund and serves as the University's confidential adviser for students and employees.
'It's important that our students have someone to turn to if they want to discuss their problems without fear of being judged or suffering any consequences. I always try to be as accessible as possible and schedule appointments within two days. I'm a good listener and am always eager to help resolve any difficult situations you might encounter during your studies.'
You can reach Rixt at A.Polder@uva.nl, or 06 18 99 49 30.
Belle Jansen has been working as a communications officer at the Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies (Faculty of Science) since 2021 and is also a yoga teacher and freelance copywriter.
'Not sure what to do in - or after - a situation in which you’ve experienced undesirable and undesirable behaviour, such as discrimination, aggression or violence, bullying or sexual harassment? Send me a message if you want to share your experience with me in confidence. Together, we can discuss what you are going through and I can support you in what you need.
Anything you experience as unacceptable behaviour is worth discussing, even if you’re not sure if it meets the definition of undesirable behaviour. It could be about a situation you've witnessed or something you've experienced yourself. As a confidential adviser, I provide you with a safe space to tell your story confidentially and, if you wish, anonymously. Depending on what you need, I can think along with you and guide you in the steps towards a solution.'
You can reach Belle at B.email@example.com or 020-525 5512.
Kristien van Lunen
Kristien van Lunen works as a programme coordinator at the Faculty of Science and is also a trained coach.
'I believe that the UvA should be a safe, healthy and pleasant learning and working environment for students and colleagues. If you experience bullying, discrimination, threatening, sexual harassment or any other form of undesirable behaviour, however, it is good if you can talk to someone in confidence. You are most welcome to come and talk to me, I will listen to you without judgement. If you want, I can help you resolve a difficult situation and give you the information you need. If you mail or call me, we can schedule an appointment within two days.'
You can reach Kristien at firstname.lastname@example.org or 06 28957732.
Marie Hoogstraten is a study advisor at the College & Graduate School of Communication Science. Marie has been working at the UvA since 2012, and as a study advisor since 2015.
'I think it's important that everyone feels safe and welcome at the UvA, can work here and can develop in a pleasant environment. I want to contribute to that. I am happy to support you if you are dealing with undesirable behavior (such as aggression, bullying or (sexual) harassment) and I like to look with you how you can deal with this. A sympathetic ear is always the first step, and then we look together at how to proceed. You are in control, I follow and give you tools where necessary. Do not hesitate to contact us, even if you are not sure if you are at the right place!
Marie can be reached at email@example.com and 0615626549.
Barbera Rosenhart-Meurs has been working as a coordinator and lecturer in the Master's in Psychology track 'Training and Development' since 2009. She teaches training skills, supervises the student trainers and coordinates the entire track.
'A good atmosphere and nice contacts at work or in a study programme are important in my view, and it's bad if someone feels unsafe here because of undesirable behaviour such as aggression, bullying or harassment or sexual harassment. In such cases, it's important there's someone you can talk to someone in confidence, without immediately ending up in complicated or unwanted procedures. I hope that I can help in a confidential, informal and accessible way by listening to your story and thinking along with you.'
Barbera can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.