Who qualifies as a top-class athlete?
In making the assessment of whether to award support, the UvA applies criteria defined in line with the recommendations of the Netherlands Olympic Committee*Netherlands Sports Confederations (NOC*NSF). You qualify as a top-class athlete if one of the following criteria applies to your situation:
- You compete at the highest international level (European championships, world championships and/or the Olympic Games) in a recognised area of elite sports;
- You have not yet achieved the age and/or experience to be able to take part in competitions at the highest international level but based on current performance can be expected to achieve the level of a class A athlete ('High Potential').
To find out if you qualify for a status, consult the website of the NOC*NSF, under ‘Topsport’ (available in Dutch only).
What support can you expect from us?
1. Integrated academic and athletic plan
Each year, you can speak with your programme’s study adviser to draw up an integrated academic and athletic plan. This form of customised academic student counselling will ensure that your studies and sports activities are synchronised as much as possible. Examples include adjusting your curriculum in consultation with lecturers, requesting an extra examination resit or shifting examination dates if they fall within a training period. Please note: the possibilities vary by faculty and/or programme.
2. Financial scheme
The UvA has a Top-class Athletes Scheme specifically intended to provide high-level competitive athletes with financial support.
Top-class athletes who have been recognised as such by the UvA but are not class A athletes and who encounter a delay in the completion of their studies during the period in which they are receiving the basic student grant can qualify for financial assistance in the form of a non-repayable grant spanning a period of 12 months. The main conditions for qualifying for this form of assistance are:
- You contacted your academic study adviser and/or student counsellor regarding the study completion delay in a timely manner.
- You have not yet obtained your initial university degree or Master’s degree diploma.
Profiling Fund Regulations
More information is available in the Top Sport Regulations (in Dutch) and in the Profiling Fund Regulations (General section + p. 8, 9 and 17)
3. Free sports pass USC
If you have been designated as a top-class athlete by the UvA, you are entitled to a sports pass for the USC, free of charge. To qualify, you must be registered with Topsport Amsterdam. You can arrange this via the student counsellor.
Who should you speak to?
Do you have a question about the Regulations? Do you qualify for the Top-class Athletes Scheme, or do you think you qualify for a status? Please contact student counsellor Marjan Kuiper, coordinator Top-class athletics. You can send her an e-mail or make an appointment
- Further information
Header image by Steven Lelham (Unsplash)