For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!

Impact of Brexit on prospective staff and students from the UK

If you are considering coming to the UvA to study or work, you may be wondering how Brexit will affect your plans.

Prospective staff from the UK

If you are planning to come and work at the UvA after 31 December 2020, you will be treated as a third-country national. The same conditions will apply as those for people from other non-member states (such as American citizens who wish to stay and work at a university in the Netherlands). The UvA would need a permit to employ you.

Prospective students from the UK

From 2021 onwards, the situation will depend on any arrangements made between the EU and the UK.

If there is a ‘hard brexit’, prospective students from the UK who arrive in the Netherlands after 1 January 2020 are considered third country nationals. This means that:

  • In order to stay in the Netherlands for your studies you will need a residence permit (based on your studies). The UvA will inform you about the procedure by email.
  • You will pay the non-EEA tuition fee. Our non-EEA rate is not very different from tuition fees at English and Welsh universities, but is much higher than current fees in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
  • You will need a work permit to be able to work. Rules and regulations depend on whether you’re working during your studies or after you’ve graduated.

If the EU and the UK reach an agreement, and there is no ‘hard Brexit’, then different rules may apply. In this case, more information will be provided as soon as it becomes available.