For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!

European Health Insurance

If you are not employed, and you are a citizen from the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you can apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

You can obtain the European Health Insurance Card free of charge by contacting your local health authority. EHIC will cover the costs for essential basic health care and emergency health care.


EHIC gives limited coverage for medical expenses. It will cover the most basic health care cost and medical emergency expenses. For example:

  • General Practitioner
  • Maternity care
  • Hospital care

If you have any questions about the EHIC coverage or reimbursement of medical costs, please contact Zilveren Kruis through their website or call + 31 (0) 71 751 00 52.

Dental costs

Please note that an EHIC does not cover dental costs if you are over 18. Make sure your health insurance company at home covers dental care costs abroad, or take out a supplemental medical insurance including dental care.

Whole period

Please check if you are covered for the whole period of your stay in the Netherlands. The university is not responsible for you taking sufficient coverage.

Supplemental medical insurance for European student

It is advised to take out a supplemental medical insurance to cover the medical (and dental) care costs that are not covered by the EHIC.

AON Student Insurance

You can take out a supplemental medical insurance at a private insurance company, such as AON Student Insurance. Make sure to check what your own insurance company in your home country will cover for the complete period of your stay abroad, and what type of coverage it consists of.

Working and health insurance

From the moment you start a (part-time) job, you will have to take out Dutch basic health insurance, even if you are an EU citizen and are covered by an EU health insurance card.