For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!

Impact of Brexit on UvA students studying in the UK

Information for EU citizens who are already studying in the UK.

Last updated: 8 January 2021

What all EU students should do to continue living in the UK

  • Citizens of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland who were living in the UK on or before 31 December 2020 can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS).
  • The EUSS allows you to stay and continue to work, study and access benefits and services broadly on the same terms.
  • If you want to stay in the UK you have until 30 June 2021 to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. Check how to continue living in the UK.

Source: Studying in the UK: guidance for EU students (

What you can do

  • Check your tuition fees: ask your British university if tuition fees for next year will be affected by Brexit.
  • Register with the Dutch Embassy: the UvA has no central records indicating which of our students are currently studying in the UK. We advise you to register with the Netherlands Embassy in London. This will let us know that you are studying in the UK and enable us to provide relevant information as needed in the future.