For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!

Impact of Brexit on prospective staff and students from the UK

If you are considering coming to the UvA to study or work, you may be wondering how Brexit will affect your plans.

Last updated: 11 January 2021

Please note: The information on this page does not apply to you if you were registered in the Netherlands' personal records database (BRP) before 1 January 2021.

Prospective staff from the UK

From 2021, if you want to come and work at the UvA you will be treated as a third-country national. The same conditions apply as those for persons from other non-member states (such as American citizens who wish to stay and work at the UvA). The UvA needs a permit (werkvergunning) to employ you.

Prospective students from the UK

At the moment, we expect that new UK students will be subject to the regulations for non-EU/EEA countries, which would mean the following:

  • You would need a residence permit (based on your studies) to study in the Netherlands. The UvA will inform you about the procedure by email. (Note that applying for a Dutch residence permit for the purpose of study always needs to be done by the UvA.)
  • You would pay the non-EEA tuition fee
  • You would need a work permit to be able to work. (The exact rules and regulations would depend on whether you’re working during your studies or after you’ve graduated.)

Tuition fees for prospective students (starting 1 February or later)

If you were registered in the BRP before 1 January 2021, you pay the statutory tuition fee (if you have never previously obtained a similar degree from a Dutch institute of higher education).

If you were NOT registered in the BRP before 1 January 2021, you pay the institutional tuition fee.

View UvA tuition fees.

Important: The impact of the Trade and Cooperation Agreement signed on 24 December 2020 is still being analysed.