For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!

Impact of Brexit on current staff and students from the UK

If you are a British student or staff member at the UvA, you may be wondering how Brexit will affect your right to live, work or study in the Netherlands.

Last updated: 2 July 2021

The website of the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) provides accurate and up-to-date information about how Brexit affects your right of residence in the Netherlands as a UK national.

The crucial date: 31 December 2020

The Trade and Cooperation Agreement makes a clear distinction between UK citizens who were living in the Netherlands on 31 December 2020 and those who were not. Exceptions apply if you are a UK student with us without actually living in the Netherlands due to Covid-19, provided you will return to live in the Netherlands and have been away for no more than 6 months.

Your stay in the Netherlands after 31 December 2020

  • Your registration as a resident in your city’s Personal Records Database (BRP) serves as proof that you were living in the Netherlands on or prior to 31 December 2020.
  • If you wish to stay in the Netherlands as a UK national after 31 December 2020, and you were already registered in the BRP by that date, make sure you have a residence document or obtain one before 1 October 2021 (see the IND website).
  • If you did not register in the BRP before 1 January 2021, then you need a residence permit to continue to live and study in the Netherlands. The UvA's Immigration Office will invite you by email to start this process. (Note: Applying for a Dutch residence permit for the purpose of study always needs to be done by the UvA.)
  • Current staff, including student assistants: contact your HR department to discuss your personal situation, because your history of residence in the Netherlands is a factor.

Tuition fees for current students

If you were registered in the BRP before 1 January 2021, you pay the statutory tuition fee (if you have never previously obtained a similar degree from a Dutch institute of higher education).

If you were NOT registered in the BRP before 1 January 2021, then you pay the statutory tuition fee until 1 September 2021 and the institutional tuition fee after 1 September 2021.

View UvA tuition fees.

Continuing your studies after the 2020-2021 academic year

In a letter to Parliament (document 23987, nr 299, of 7 January 2019), the Dutch Government stated its intention that as a student enrolled at the UvA on 31 December 2020, and living in the Netherlands, you will be allowed to continue studying under the same conditions, and with the same tuition fees, as those set for EU students by the law and by the UvA’s regulations. 

As we understand it from the Government’s letter, this includes continuing uninterrupted in a follow-on study programme (e.g. doing your Master’s right after a Bachelor’s) and also includes a switch between institutions within the Netherlands. 

If applicable, you will keep your entitlement to financial assistance (studiefinanciering).

We assume that the Dutch government will keep this intention, even if these conditions are not found in the Trade and Cooperation Agreement itself.

Interrupting your studies

The Government’s letter does not specify which tuition fees will apply if you take a break from your studies and return later to complete your programme. We advise against interrupting your studies while this uncertainty exists.