For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!

Study advisers

Student counselling

It may happen that you are prevented from completing your courses and/or graduating on time due to various reasons. For example, you may have lost your motivation because of doubts about your study choice, or maybe there are personal issues distracting you from your studies. In such cases, you have the right to student counselling. There are various people at the Faculty of Humanities to which you can turn when in need of counselling. These include:

  • the relevant course lecturer;
  • tutors, student counsellors or study coordinators.

Each study programme at the Faculty of Humanities (FGw) also has one or more study advisers who can assist you with any issues or questions you might have. These study advisers have a good overview of study possibilities, and are also in close contact with both students and FGw lecturers. This means that they can act as intermediary between both groups.

For which types of issues can you contact the study adviser?

You can contact the study adviser of your programme with questions relating to:

  • the study programme you are enrolled in, the curriculum and study load;
  • the planning of your study, formulating a study plan, trying to work away any incurred study delays;
  • doubts about your study choice, motivational problems;
  • transition regulations;
  • internships;
  • foreign study programmes;
  • personal problems which might be adversely affecting your studies;
  • formulating a serious complaint about a person or management division within the Faculty, as well as letters to the Examinations Board;
  • university regulations and provisions such as the profiling fund and provisions for disabled students;
  • courses focused on performance anxiety, study choice, time management or career orientation.

Once a lecturer identifies a study problem, he/she might also refer you to a study adviser for assistance. Although not required, it is advisable that you do so if ever this may happen.

Notifying the study adviser about study completion delay

If you risk running a delay of more than a month because of sickness, exceptional circumstances or any other reason outside of your control, please notify and register your study delay with your study adviser within three months. After the academic year has finished, you can – if an actual delay has occurred – formally request an acknowledgement of delay via the study adviser.

When can one actually speak of a study completion delay?
The study load of each study programme is expressed in credits. Education is formulated in such a manner that students - averaging 42 study hours per week – can obtain 30 credits per semester. Those who obtain 30 credits per semester can graduate with a Bachelor’s diploma within three years. When a student obtains less than 30 credits per semester, a study completion delay occurs. For students receiving grants, a study completion delay can have serious financial repercussions. The regulations pertaining to this matter are complex.

Contact and appointments

For contact information and making appointments see the link below. You can also schedule an appointment via the online service.