For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!

Student counsellors

Information for international students

Student counsellors

With the student counsellors of the UvA, you can talk on matters that might affect yourself or your study progress.

Financial matters

  • Applying for financial compensation (like the Profiling Fund) in case of study delay caused by illness or other personal circumstances.
  • Advice or information about student finance and loans provided by the Dutch government (DUO).
  • If you have financial problems and in need of advice in general.

Studying with a disability, dyslexia or (chronic) illness

Training and workshops

  • Workshops and training in study skills for international students, like planning, smart reading, or exam tips.

Advice on procedures regarding objections and appeals

Study monitoring (for non-EEU students)

  • If you do not attain the 50% threshold before 31 August because of severe personal circumstances and feel you have an excusable reason, please contact the student counsellors to discuss your situation and options.

General subjects


Conversations with a student counsellor are confidential and free of charge. An appointment with the student counsellor usually takes half an hour. The appointments will take place via video or regular calling. There also is a limited number of physical consultation hours at the Roeterseiland Campus (REC). If you want to make use of this option, you can call us during our telephone consultation hours, from Monday to Friday from 09:00-10:00 via +31 (0)20 525 1401.

When do you go to a study advisor (and not to a student counsellor)?

  • The study advisor is your first point of contact at the faculty in case you have personal problems or have questions about your bachelor or master.
  • If personal problems lead to study delay, it is necessary to discuss the matter with your study advisor as soon as possible.
  • If you have questions about the timetable or your study planning, you can make an appointment with your study adviser.