For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
Bekijk de site in het Nederlands

Visa, housing and insurance

Frequently asked questions

On this page you will find all frequently asked questions about the practical matters that you need to arrange before starting your studies at the UvA. This includes your visa and/or residence permit, housing and insurance.


Here you'll find general information about visa and permits.


Go here for general information about housing.


This is where you'll find general information about insurance.

FAQ: Visa

  • Do I have to apply for a visa/ residence permit myself?

    Visa/residence permit applications for a study at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) have to be submitted through the UvA. Your point of contact will always be the UvA Immigration Office and not the Dutch Immigration Office. 

    The UvA Immigration Office will notify you by email when it is time to start the application, after you have been conditionally admitted to your study programme.

  • At the moment I don’t have a valid passport (yet). What now?

    Once you have been admitted to your study programme, you will be invited by the UvA Immigration office by email to start the residence permit application process.

    You can only start with this application process if you have a passport that is still valid for at least 6 months, from the starting date of your programme.

    If you don’t have a valid passport. You will have to request a (new) passport first, before you can start the visa/ residence permit application process.

  • What is study progress monitoring?

    Every year at the end of the academic year the UvA has to monitor whether students with a residence permit for the purpose of study have made sufficient progress in their studies (both bachelor's and master's). This is called study progress monitoring.

    More information can be found in the study progress monitoring section.

FAQ: Housing

FAQ: Insurance