On behalf of the University of Amsterdam (UvA), student housing provider DUWO began renovation work on the Oudemanhuispoort university complex this week. A total of 80 temporary student rooms will be created inside the building. Once complete, the rooms will be available to rent from €200 per month.
The Oudemanhuispoort building is a beautiful historic complex in the centre of Amsterdam. It previously housed the UvA's Faculty of Law (which has since relocated to the Roeterseiland Campus), and part of the building is currently still being used for education purposes. To contribute to alleviating the shortage of student rooms, the university decided to temporarily dedicate the remaining space to student housing, contracting DUWO to help. Starting in 2021, the complex will be renovated to accommodate the Faculty of Humanities, the Executive Board and the Executive Staff of the UvA.
The rooms will feature communal bathrooms and kitchens, and will be offered to students at very affordable rates. The cheapest rooms will cost €200 per month, excluding service charges. The average rent will be €340. The rental prices will depend on the size of the rooms.
The rooms will become available between late September and December 2018. Interested students can keep an eye on the DUWO website for updates.
Prior to the renovation, consultations were held with local residents to explain the plans and to discuss their suggestions and concerns about nuisance and privacy. Based on these conversations, the original number of planned rooms was also cut in half (80 instead of 190). In addition, clear agreements were made regarding the social management of the student housing by DUWO.
The Oudemanhuispoort building is a well-known place in Amsterdam. It was first built as a convent in 1602, but in the same century became a residence for around 100 elderly men and women. Although women made up the majority of its occupants for centuries, the building was named ‘Oudemanhuispoort’, which literally translates to old man's house gate. In the mid-18th century, after several renovations, the Oudemanhuispoort complex was fitted with its famous shop cabinets in the public corridor, at the time used by merchants of jewels and precious metals. In the 19th century, the shop cabinets were taken into use by book merchants, giving rise to a daily book market that continues to flourish to this day. The building became part of the UvA's accommodation in 1880. In 1925, the university would expand it to include a new wing with three lecture halls. With the creation of the student rooms, this building that formerly housed elderly men and women in Amsterdam will soon be home to young men and women instead...