Install antivirus software, a firewall and the most recent software updates.
- You are personally responsible for the security of your laptop. Install antivirus software and a firewall and always use the latest versions of Windows, software, and so on. You can find more basic security tips on the website veiliginternetten.nl (in Dutch).
- If you work on the computers managed by UvA in the study rooms, basic security has been arranged and you do not need to do anything. Do watch out for suspicious emails and don't open any unexpected attachments from unknown sources.
Never leave your computer, laptop or tablet unattended. Lock your screen if you are away for any length of time.
How do you lock your screen?
- Windows: Ctrl-Alt-Delete or Windows key +L(ock) keyboard shortcuts.
- Mac: configure your computer/laptop to go into sleep mode when you're not working on it, requiring a password to be reactivated. You can configure the password activation option under the Mac OS X security settings. Navigate to: System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General. Select 'Require password' for sleep mode and screen lock (see instructions). You can also find the instructions on the Macworld website and the Apple website.
- Linux: Ctrl-Alt-L keyboard shortcut (may not work on some versions of Linux).