For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!

I am a student at UvA Economics and Business who would like to take a minor

As a student at UvA Economics and Business, you can take a minor as the elective component of your Bachelor's programme or to prepare for a Master's programme.

Which minors require the Examinations Board's approval?

If you would like to take a minor at another UvA faculty, you will not need to request the approval of the Examinations Board. The minor will be automatically added to your study programme.

What should I do if I want to take a minor outside the UvA?

I want to take a minor at the VU

If you want to take a minor at the VU, you need to hand in a permission statement as part of the application process. You request this thourgh the Digital Student Service Desk. Select Request documents or statements - Permission for taking courses at another Dutch university as a guest student.

Onc eyou have been admitted, you ask permission with the Board of Examiners to add the minor to your study programme by sending the form request approval minor. We advise you to only request approval for one minor that you intend on taking and to which you have been admitted. Minors are most likely to be approved if they do not overlap with your regular programme and if they meet the other general rules for electives.

You can find all the stept for applying to a minor at the VU on their website.

I want to take a minor at another Dutch university

If you want to take a minor at a different university, you apply for the minor at the university of your choice. After you have been admitted to the minor, you need to arrange your enrolment as elective student at that particular university. After this, you need to request the approval of the Examinations Board, which you can do using the form request approval minor. It is also important that you stay enrolled for your Bachelor's programme while you take the minor.

What is a bewijs betaald collegegeld?

If you want to take courses at another university, you need to hand in a bewijs betaald collegegeld or BBC. This is a formal document that proves you have paid your tuition at the UvA. It exempts you from having to pay tuition at another university. You apply for a BBC at the Central Student Service Desk.

I've finished my minor, what's next?

Upon completing your minor, you should request a minor certificate including the results achieved or a signed and stamped list of marks from the university where you took your minor. You must present this original list of marks to the Education Desk of UvA Economics and Business. The Student Administration will subsequently register your marks in SIS.

Can I take a minor at UvA Economics and Business?

You are allowed to take a minor at UvA Economics and Business. However you may not be eligible to take all EB minors due to overlap. You can find the options based on your programme below. Please be aware that no exceptions will be made.

Provided that they meet the entry requirements, students from all degree programmes will be eligible to take the following minors:

Students in Business Administration:

Students in Economics and Business Economics:

Students in Econometrics:

Students in Actuarial Science:

What steps should I take if I want to take a minor at the UvA?

There are several steps that you should take if you are interested in taking a minor at the UvA. Please note that the following step-by-step plan may vary for each faculty. To this end, read the instructions carefully for the minor of your choice.

  • Step 1: Decide which minor you would like to take

    It is important to familiarise yourself with the range of minors and to consider which would suit you the best. An overview of all the minors offered by the UvA can be found at

    Once you have chosen a minor, check whether you meet the entry requirements. Some minors have an application deadline and/or limited capacity. For this reason, please make sure to consider the options and apply for admission in good time.

  • Step 2: Apply for admission by filling out the application form so your potential admission can be assessed

    Apply for admission to the minor using the online application form. You can find this form on the minor page on

    The Student Administration will assess you application and consult the minor coordinator if applicable. You will receive a decision on your admission by email. Processing your application for admission may take up to 10 working days. You will not be able to register for courses in the meantime; see Step 4. Would you like to be sure that you will be able to start the minor? Make sure that you apply for admission before the start of the course registration period. For UvA students we advise to apply before 1 June and for non-UvA students we advise to apply before 15 May.

  • Step 3: Check the course registration procedure for your minor

    If you wish to take part in courses, you must have a valid course registration. While registering for courses as a minor student will often be your own responsibility, it will be done for you in some cases. More information will be provided in the email about your admission.

    If you have any problems registering for courses, please contact the Education Desk of the faculty where you want to take your minor as soon as possible.

  • Step 4: Complete your minor

    If you have taken your minor at the UvA, your marks will automatically be registered in SIS. When applying for a degree certificate, you can request that the minor should be included in the list of grades on your diploma.

If you have any questions, please contact the Education Desk or read the FAQ.