For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.

Binding Study Advice (BSA)

Binding study advice (BSA)

At the end of the first year, you'll receive a Binding Study Advice (BSA). If you meet the BSA requirements of your programme you will receive a positive study advice and you may continue your programme. On this page you'll find more information about the BSA, your options when obtained a negative BSA and a Frequently Asked Questions section.


The content below has been carefully compiled based on the current Teaching and Examinations Regulations of UvA Economics and Business. No rights can be derived from this content in the event that the text on this page deviates from the text in the above-mentioned articles.

The information below demonstrates how you can obtain a positive BSA in 2021-2022. Updated on 7 October 2021.

Binding Study Advice (BSA) academic year 2021-2022

  • BSA requirements 2021-2022

    To obtain a positive study advice at the end of the first year, all first year Bachelor students need to earn at least 48 EC in the current academic year for courses of the first year of their Bachelor’s programme. 

    Any exemptions that you received previously don't count for meeting the BSA requirements.

  • When will you receive the study advice?
    • You will receive a number of preliminary study advices to provide you with insight in your study progress.
    • After all study results of the academic year have been registered (including the resits in July), a final positive study advice or an intended negative binding study advice will be sent to you by e-mail*. That's why it is very important that you (or someone else on your behalf) read your e-mail carefully, including spambox, during this period.
    • In case of an intended negative study advice, you will receive an e-mail* which indicates how and when you can apply for dispensation from the Binding Study Advice Committee.

    * The BSA communication will be sent to the e-mail adress that is registered in Studielink. Therefore, if necessary, change this address in Studielink.

  • Positive study advice

    In case you meet the requirements of the BSA you will be given a positive study advice. You will not receive a BSA in the following years of your Bachelor's programme. Please beware that the validity of Bachelor's courses is six years.

  • Negative Binding Study Advice

    If you do not meet the BSA requirements a negative Binding Study Advice (NBSA) will be issued. In this case you are not allowed to enrol for the same programme at UvA Economics and Business for a period of three years, nor for a programme that has largely or exactly the same first year.

    If you obtained a NSBA for one of the following three Bachelor's degree programmes, you are not eligable for three years for one of the other programmes:

    • Actuarial Science
    • Econometrics (formerly Econometrics and Operations Research)
    • Business Analytics (conditional on final accreditation)


    This also applies to:

    • Economics and Business Economics
    • Fiscale Economie

    In case you want to start a Bachelor’s programme at UvA Economics and Business you're not excluded from, please make sure you meet the entry requirements of that particular Bachelor’s programme. You can find these requirements at the programme page of the Bachelor of your choice.

    In exceptional cases application for dispensation is approved. More information is to be found below at Apply for dispensation in case of a negative binding study advice.

  • Cases where the Binding Study Advice does not apply

    BSA will not be issued in the following two situations:

    • Your enrolment is terminated as of 1 February. If you terminate your enrolment before 1 February, you'll not be given a BSA. In order to terminate your enrolment as of 1 February you must terminate your enrolment through Studielink no later then 31 January. In the subsequent academic year you can re-enrol for the same Bachelor's programme. At the end of the new academic year you will be given a BSA. The credits obtained the year before will still be valid, but will not count towards getting a positive BSA for the year in which you re-enrol. If you must obtain less than 48 credits to fulfil the first year, you will have to obtain all remaining first-year courses. If you deregistered yourself from your first year at UvA Economics and Business before 1 February 2022, and you will re-apply per 1 September 2022, the BSA-norm of 2022-2023 applies.

    To discuss your housing arrangements and Visa (if applicable), it is necessary to inform the Admissions Office immediately after the termination of your enrolment.

    • Recognised personal circumstances
      If you receive a Negative Binding Study Advice (NBSA), the Binding Study Advice Committee can grant dispensation in exceptional cases on grounds of recognized personal circumstances. An important condition in these cases is that you reported the personal circumstances to a Study Adviser. Personal circumstances involve matters such as illness, special circumstances involving family, pregnancy and medical functional disorders.

    When one of the above mentioned issues or other personal circumstances apply to you, report this immediately to a Study Adviser.

Apply for dispensation in case of a Negative Binding Study Advice

  • Application for dispensation by the Binding Study Advice Committee

    If you are given a negative BSA, you could in case of recognized personal circumstances apply for dispensation from the Binding Study Advice Committee (of UvA Economics and Business). In exceptional cases the Binding Study Advice Committee will approve the request for dispensation. An important condition is that the personal circumstances that influenced your study results were reported and discussed with a Study Adviser. You will be informed about the procedure at the end of the academic year.

    Short description of the procedure

    • In order to request dispensation you need to submit a request to the Binding Study Advice Committee. You can do this by submitting an online request. The link to this request can be found on this website at the end of the academic year. In this request you should explain which personal circumstances withheld you from meeting the BSA requirements. If you do not have or have not had any personal circumstances effecting your study results this academic year or if there is no proven relationship between the personal circumstances and your study results, no dispensation will be granted to you and thus it is pointless to request dispensation. How and when you should request dispensation will be explained in the final BSA advice.  
    • The Binding Study Advice Committee will only take into account personal circumstances that are listed in Article 6.4 of the Teaching and Examination Regulations. One of the most important requirements for dispensation is that you have reported  and discussed your personal circumstances with a study adviser during the academic year. Also, bear in mind that you must hand in official documentation of your personal circumstances to the study advisers. The official documents must be in English or Dutch. Otherwise, a certified translation (from an official translator) of the documents is required.
  • Approved dispensation

    If you have been granted dispensation based on your personal circumstances at the end of your first-year of study, you are permitted to continue your programme of study. Depending on the number of credits obtained in the first-year study programme, in the following year you are required to:

    • complete all first-year courses, or
    • obtain a specified number of credits determined by the Binding Study Advice Committee.

    The dispensation letter you receive from the Binding Study Advice Committee states which conditions apply in your case. Please contact the study advisers if you want to discuss your study planning regarding the new requirements.


Have a look at the FAQ to see if your question is answered there. If you have questions about the registration of your exam results in SIS, you can contact the Education Desk. 

Do you want advice about your study planning or applying for dispensation, or do you want to report personal circumstances? Contact the Study Advisers.