Voor de beste ervaring schakelt u JavaScript in en gebruikt u een moderne browser!
Je gebruikt een niet-ondersteunde browser. Deze site kan er anders uitzien dan je verwacht.

Residence permit extension

Information for international students

On this page, you will find the procedure for requesting an extension of your residence permit.

Duration of your residence permit

Student residence permits are issued for the duration of the nominal study programme plus three months. The nominal duration of degree programme is three years for a Bachelor’s programme and one or two years for a Master’s programme.


  1. Each academic year, you are required by law to attain at least 50% of the credits of your full time study programme.
  2. If you do not attain the 50% threshold, the UvA will verify whether there is a valid reason for you to be exempted from the threshold. If you are not exempted, the UvA has to inform the Immigration and Naturalisation Department (IND) about it, with the withdrawal of your student residence permit as a consequence.
  3. You can submit your application for a residence permit extension from 3 months prior to the expiration date of your current residence permit. This will give the IND sufficient time to make a decision, so that in case of a positive decision, your new residence permit will be ready in time.

Switching from another educational institution in the Netherlands

You may also need to extend your residence permit if you are switching from another educational institution in the Netherlands to the UvA. In this case, you cannot apply for an extension here, but will receive an invitation to start the immigration procedure when you have been admitted to your study programme.

Questions? Please email us (login UvAnetID).

Extending your residence permit

If your current student residence permit needs to be extended, and you meet the conditions mentioned above, you can apply for an extension using the link below.


A residence permit extension costs €210. This fee is non-refundable.

Required documents:

  • Valid passport
  • Your current Dutch residence permit (front and back)
  • Antecedents certificate (the form needs to be signed by hand, not digitally)
  • Income statement

Return visa

If you intend to travel outside of the Netherlands, you will need to check whether or not your current residence permit will still be valid upon your return to the Netherlands. If this is not the case, you must apply for a return visa with the IND.


A return visa costs €161.


After we have submitted your application for an extension with the IND, you can apply for your return visa. You can apply for your return visa at the IND Desk by appointment. Please book your appointment through the IND website below.

New residence permit after graduation

Once you have graduated from the UvA, you can apply for an Orientation year residence permit directly with the IND if you’re looking for a job in the Netherlands. More information on this procedure can be found on Working after graduation.


If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.