How do you set up two-step verification?
go through the steps below to set up two-step verification on your cell phone.
- Open a browser on your laptop and go to https://aka.ms/mfasetup .
- Sign in with your full UvA e-mail address and password.
- Click on Next until a QR code appears.
- Now take your phone and download the Microsoft Authenticator app (if you don't have this app yet).
- Open the app and click on Add Account > Work or School Account > Scan QR code.
- Scan the code on your laptop and click on Next.
- A test sign in request is sent to your app. Approve this test.
- Click on Next and Done at the website.
Two-step verification has now been set up successfully.
If your two-step verification doesn't work properly, please go to: https://id.student.uva.nl, click on Two-step verification for Microsoft Cloud, log in and click on Reset two-step verification for Microsoft Cloud.
If you have any questions, contact the Service Desk ICT Services at +31 (0)20-525 1402.
Why do I need to set up two-step verification?
We often use only a password to access our data. If someone were to hack you or look over your shoulder, however, your data become available to others. Two-step verification complements your password with another factor: something that you have. An example is a request on your telephone for additional confirmation to log in, also called a token. You then have to accept this additional confirmation after you have entered your password. In effect, it is a double check. Banks have been using two-step verification for much longer (such as TAN codes or an identifier).
- I don't want to share my mobile number; is that all right?
I cannot download and/or install apps on my telephone; what should I do?
The Microsoft Authenticator app is available for iOS and Android. Use the links to check whether your device is compatible. If your device is unsuitable for the app, you have another option. During the registration wizard, select Telefoon [Telephone] as two-step verification. You will be called and asked to press the # button as additional confirmation when logging in. You should bring your device to work, though.
How does two-step verification work when I am abroad?
It works exactly the same domestically and abroad. You might be asked to confirm your login more often abroad, however.
What should I do if my mobile phone does not have a signal?
If your phone does not have a signal or an active internet connection, use the code from the Authenticator app. You can select another method while logging in.
Why does the Microsoft Authenticator app have a timer next to the codes?
As each code is only visible for 30 seconds, you will never have the same code twice. These codes are one-off, so you need not remember them.
I have a new telephone; what should I do?
If you have a new telephone as well as a new mobile number, you need to re-register. To do so, go to https://idm.student.uva.nl, click on Two-step verification for Microsoft Cloud, log in and click on Reset two-step verification for Microsoft Cloud.
Should your new phone have the same number that you also registered in accordance with the manual, you can re-register the Microsoft Authenticator app using this mobile number. Follow the instructions for setting up two-step verification on this page.
I am unable to install the app; what should I do?
There could be several reasons why installing the app does not work.
- I do not have an active internet connection on my mobile phone or tablet.
- Find an active internet connection, which you need in order to download the app.
Your telephone may have been configured only to enable downloading apps via Wi-Fi. Turn off this option (please note: your data use may incur higher costs) or find a spot where you can connect to Wi-Fi and try again.
Why does the app attempt to access a range of data?
The apps require access to your camera, which you need in order to scan QR codes during the installation and the use of two-step verification. These apps only activate your camera for the above purposes.
I am unable to scan the QR code.
I am registering from my telephone.
You will not succeed. What you need is a device to display the QR code (preferably a PC) and a tablet or smartphone to scan the QR code.
I am having problems with the camera.
- You cannot use the Microsoft Authenticator app without a functioning camera. In this case, set up your telephone number for two-step verification.
- The app does not automatically open my camera. Close and reopen the app.
- If it still does not work, restart your phone and try again.
I have waited too long.
You are now unable to scan the QR code. Close the browser of your PC as well as the app and start over.
Tips to scan the QR code properly:
- hold your telephone perfectly still while scanning. It may take a while before the scan is made, as your camera needs to focus on the QR code;
- ensure that the QR code is fully visible while scanning;
- ensure that only the QR code is visible while scanning;
- do not hold your finger or other objects in front of the camera while scanning;
- increase the brightness of your computer screen to enhance the contrast of the QR code and facilitate the scanning process of your camera.
How can I change my two-step verification?
Visit https://aka.ms/mfasetup. If you are having difficulties, follow the instructions on this page.
Can I add more than one method?
Yes, we recommend it. If you do, you will always have a back-up method. To add multiple methods, visit https://aka.ms/mfasetup.
I have not received a push notification on my telephone to confirm the login/I only receive notifications if I open the app, not when it is closed. What should I do?
Check the app settings on your telephone. Make sure that notifications are enabled. If they are, check the following settings:
- is your telephone set to Do Not Disturb or Silent Mode? This set-up may interfere with push notifications;
- are you receiving notifications from other apps? If not, the issue could rest with your device or with the Android or Apple push protocol;
- are you receiving notifications from other accounts in the app? Log into https://aka.ms/mfasetup and delete the device in question. Next, delete the associated account from the app and add it again.
Can I use my Apple Watch for two-step verification as well?
Yes you can. You can find further details here.
My mobile app does not support two-step verification. What should I do?
Outdated or special apps may not be able to handle two-step verification. In this case, choose one of the following apps:
- the standard Mail app on iOS 11.x or later;
- Outlook on iOS 10.x or later;
- Outlook on Android.
I'm visually impaired. How can I work with two-step verification?
When setting up the two-step verification, choose the option to register your mobile phone number. With this method you will be called at the specified number and then give a confirmation by typing #.
I am unable to install two-step verification, but I need to login to Microsoft 365. What options do I have?
You can request a temporary exemption, valid for four days. To apply, go to https://idm.student.uva.nl, click on Two-step verification for Microsoft Cloud, log in and click on Request temporary exemption two-step verification for Microsoft Cloud.
I want to register my phone number but an incorrect number comes up. What do I do?
Choose to add an Alternate phone.
Can I use Microsoft Teams and OneDrive without VPN?
You can, but we recommend that you always use a VPN connection for Microsoft Teams and OneDrive.