- As a new student at the UvA, you first have to request a Student ID card. You can apply for your student ID card one month before you start at UvA. In order to apply for your student ID card you need your UvAnetID (every new student receives an email with an UvAnetID and password).
- Go to myuvacard to upload your passport photo for the Student ID card.
Please note: you need a laptop or desktop to upload your photo on myuvacard.
Please ensure that your passport photo meets at least the following requirements:
- It must be a clear, recent passport-quality passport photo. The photo must be clear and detailed and must provide sufficient contrast (not too light or too dark).
- It must be a good likeness of you.
- The file must be a JPEG file.
- The file must be no smaller than 50 KB and no bigger than 3 MB.
- Your face (chin, mouth, nose, eyes and eyebrows) must be fully visible, even with head covering, and you must be facing forwards.
- The main part of the photo must be your face.
- The photo must be of one person only.
- The photo can be colour or black and white.
- Photos with a Snapchat (or similar) filter are not permitted.
Please note: Your student ID card also serves as a proof of identity. When you use an unclear or unusable picture your student ID card will not be considered valid.
- If you have applied for your student card, your card will be available at a UvA Service Desk. You will receive an email where you can pick up your card. For this you need a valid proof of identity (ID, passport, driver's license). The locations of the service points can be found below.
Pay attention! Due to the corona measures, some service points are only partially open or closed. You can find the actual opening hours on the location page.
- If you have received your card at home (students enrollment in February), you can activate it online until May 1th. Log in to myuvacard and select 'Activate card' under card options. Your card is now ready for use. After May 1th, you must do this at one of the service points.
- Activating your card is necessary. As long as your card has not been activated, you cannot use this card to print (paid) and use (paid) coffee and other payment machines.
- If you are going to study from the new academic year (September 2021) and you have applied for your card, your card will be sent to your home. This card will be sent to the address you indicated in Studielink in mid-August.
- Have you given an address abroad? Then you will receive an e-mail message at which service point you can pick up your student card. You will receive a notification by e-mail about when you can pick up the card. For this you need a valid proof of identity (ID, passport, driver's license).
Please note: You will need to activate your student ID card so that you can use it to make payments.