Sense about Science’s Brussels office is providing an exciting opportunity for a volunteer intern who has a keen interest in science communication. The successful candidate's role as intern would involve active and clear communication between scientists, citizens and societies to aid in the organisation of events and building of networks that Sense about Science stands for.
De stage is geschikt voor / The internship is suitable for
Nederlandse en internationale studenten / Dutch and international students
Sense about Science EU is an independent campaigning charity that monitors the use and abuse of scientific evidence in EU affairs. We stand up for the public interest, advocating for openness about the evidence behind important EU policy claims and equipping people to ask for and understand it. Sense about Science is a small team working with thousands of supporters, from world leading researchers to community groups. It is a diverse band of people who share the goal of better representation of evidence in public life, and it is growing. You can also read about the experiences of a previous intern on her blog. Our primary areas of focus are:
- Promoting the scientific method.
- Tackling systematic misrepresentation of science and evidence.
- Championing the use of evidence for better, more accountable policies.
- Talking about difficult issues. What we do
- We challenge the misrepresentation of science and evidence in public life and intervene when necessary, in partnership with others, to hold those responsible to account.
- We encourage the public to ask for evidence, offering insight into how to analyse evidence and ask the right questions. And we encourage researchers and decision makers to talk about evidence, particularly when it is controversial or difficult.
- We press for openness and honest reporting and challenge intimidation.
Omschrijving werkzaamheden / Description of tasks
- Assistance in including EU affairs in the Ask for Evidence campaign and promoting it in EU member states.
- Assistance in organising a Standing up for Science EU workshop (location tbc)
- Promotion of VoYS network in EU member states.
- Represent Sense about Science EU at networking events.
- General support of the EU office: contact management, communication, monitoring of evidence use in EU affairs.
Omschrijving begeleiding / Description of supervision
Supervison provided by Sofie (Sense about Science EU Director)
Wensen en vereisten aan student / Candidate requirements
- Enrolled on university degree (i.e. Bachelor's Communication Science) or have already obtained a university degree
- Research experience
- Fluent in English
- Strong interest for responsible research and innovation (RRI) and public engagement
- Candidates should be familiar with and share the Sense about Science ethos regarding the importance of evidence and fact-checking.
Beloning / Renumeration
Being a charity Sense about Science is not able to provide renumeration except for costs directly related to the internship i.e. travel costs for work purposes during the internship
Periode(s) / Period(s)
In the past internships have been three months long, however this can be discussed further with Sofie
Reageren uiterlijk / Application closes:
Contactinformatie/ Contact information
To apply, express interest to Sofie Vanthournout, director of Sense about Science EU at firstname.lastname@example.org or +32 479 53 89 10 to arrange a skype interview.