Step-by-step guide towards graduation
The following is a 9-step plan to graduate in the Master of Logic. It takes 8 to 10 months to execute. You should start preparing at the beginning of your second year. Please note that you can only defend your thesis once you have completed all course and project elements of your programme and all corresponding grades have been officially registered.
10 to 6 months before the thesis defense
You start discussing potential thesis supervisors with your academic mentor. You talk to these potential supervisors and discuss possible topics. See also our hints on how to find a supervisor.
4 to 3 months before the thesis defense
You reach an agreement with your supervisor. Together you write a short description of the project and fill in your approval form. The form is signed by you and your supervisor. Please note:
- You cannot submit your approval form unless you have completed at least 72 EC worth of coursework (and preferably the full 90 EC). To defend between 1 June and 30 September of a given year, you must submit your approval form no later than 1 March of the same year.
- The courses that you list on your approval form are final, i.e., they will be the ones that appear on your transcript. If you list courses on this form that you don't finish, then you cannot graduate. If you forget to list a course on that form, then it will not be on your final transcript.
5 to 1 month(s) before the thesis defense
You write the thesis and you present your thesis project during one of the plenary MoL thesis presentation events. MoL thesis presentation events are organised in April (for students graduating in the summer) and October-November (for students graduating in the winter). If you cannot present your thesis during any of these events you are required to discuss your project once with an ILLC staff member outside of your supervisory team. To do so you need to prepare a one page abstract of your thesis project, send it to the chosen ILLC member with an invitation to meet, meet and after the meeting send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to inform the Examinations Board that the meeting took place (with the thesis abstract in attachment and the chosen ILLC member in cc).
At least 5 to 6 weeks before the thesis defense.
As soon as you have an approximate date for the defense, your supervisor should contact the Examinations Board (at email@example.com) to request the assignment of a chair for your thesis committee. If there is a canonical candidate among the members of the Examinations Board, your supervisor can mention this person in the e-mail.
Note that as the examinee, you should not be involved in the selection of the members of your committee. You can, of course, give your preferences to your supervisor.
After a chair for your thesis committee is assigned, your supervisor will make suggestions for the committee members to the chair who will then appoint the committee members and inform you who is in the committee.
The end of the academic year (the months of June, July and August) are the standard graduation period and about 60% of our students will graduate in these months. In order to coordinate these defenses, we shall have a special procedure for graduations in this period: there will be a website with fixed graduation slots that you can choose. Most of these slots will be between 15 June and 15 July and in the last week of August. There will be no graduation slots between 15 July and 27 August. The website will be functional in January or February 2018 and instructions will be sent to all students who are expected to graduate in the summer of 2018 in due time.
Note that if you do not defend on or before 31 August of a year, you will have to re-enroll for the next academic year.
1 month before the thesis defense
You fill in the thesis arrangement form, and submit it to Patty den Enting. She will make sure a room is arranged, the committee members are informed, and the defense is added to the News and Events section of the ILLC website.
3 weeks before the thesis defense
At least three weeks before the defense date, you send a PDF of the final version of your thesis, including an abstract and the offical title page, by email to the committee members with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. At the same time, you also officially file your thesis with UvA Scripties Online using the FNWI Thesis Submit Wizard.
For a clear explanation on this process, please have a look at this page.
The public thesis defense
You present your thesis for 20 minutes and the committee asks questions for 30 minutes. After that the committee retires for typically around 30 minutes to discuss the grade and write the grade report. They then call you in to inform you of their decision and to give you the opportunity to ask a few short questions. After that, you and the committee return to the defense room, where there is opportunity for your supervisor to congratulate you and give a short speech. The process is described in more detail in the MoL Thesis Defense Guidelines.
After the thesis defense
- Please note that you must be enrolled for the Master's programme on the date of requesting the diploma.
- You make sure you get the final thesis grade report from the chair of your defense committee and you bring this to the Service Desk Education Service Centre of the Faculty of Science as soon as possible.
- You apply for your diploma through a graduation request in DataNose.
- After a thorough check of the graduation request, your approval form and your grades and credits in SIS, the Service Desk ESC will take care of the further processing of your diploma application. The graduation date on your diploma will be the day that they received your application.
- When filling in the graduation request you choose whether you will pick up your diploma at the Service Desk ESC or whether the diploma has to be sent to your home address.
Please note that the option for a graduation ceremony does not apply to the Master of Logic.
- If you need a document to confirm your graduation before you receive the diploma (for applications for instance), please contact the Service Desk ESC or pass by their office.
- You deregister from the UvA using Studielink before the end of the month in which you submitted your graduation request and if necessary ask for a reimbursement of your tuition fee, also if you pay in instalments. Please be aware that you will not be reimbursed when you deregister per June 1 or later.
- Because your opinion is highly appreciated and will help us keep the quality of the programme at a high standard, we ask you to fill in two evaluation forms. One deals with the thesis project and you can find the form in the link below. This one you are required to upload in your graduation request in DataNose (see point 3). The other deals with the programme as a whole and the link to an online form will be sent to you by email after you applied for your diploma. Your answers will be completely anonymous, and very valuable.
Up to 1 month after the thesis defense
All MoL theses are published online.
In general, the published version is the one submitted to the committee. As a courtesy to our students, we give you 4 weeks after the defense to make necessary, but minor changes, in line with the feedback received from the committee during your defense. If we have not received an updated version within 4 weeks of the defense, then the originally submitted version will be published online. Please send your revised manuscript to email@example.com.