Artificial Intelligence (Master's)

Graduate School of Informatics - Faculty of Science

Residence permit

Information for international students

Procedure for requesting an extension.

Duration of a residence permit

Student residence permits are issued for the duration of the nominal study programme plus three months. The nominal duration of degree programme is three years for a Bachelor’s programme and one or two years for a Master’s programme.


Each year, you are required by law to attain at least 50% of the credits of your degree programme. We do not expect that this will be a problem for UvA students.

However, if you do not attain the 50% threshold, the UvA will verify whether there is a valid reason for you to be exempted from the threshold. If you are not exempted, the UvA has to inform the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) and your student residence permit will be withdrawn.

Extending your residence permit

  1. If your current student residence permit needs to be extended, you can apply for an extension using the link below. You may also need to extend your permit if you are switching from another university in the Netherlands and have been unconditionally accepted to study at the University of Amsterdam. In this case, please contact us.
  2. After you have completed the online form, please bring a completed Antecedents Certificate to the Student Service Desk (SSD), open from Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 17:00. 

Return visa

If you intend to return home or travel outside of the Netherlands during the summer, you will need to check whether or not your current residence permit will still be valid upon your return to the Netherlands.  

If this is not the case, you must apply for a return visa that is valid in the time period between your date of return to the Netherlands and the date on which you actually receive your residence permit extension from the IND.


A return visa costs €148 and can be requested by appointment at the IND at least two weeks prior to your departure from the Netherlands. You can make an appointment at the IND by phone: 088-0430430.

New residence permit after graduation

Once you graduate from the UvA, you can apply for a 'Search Year' residence permit to find employment in the Netherlands. More information on this procedure can be found here.


If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. 

Published by  Studenten Services

13 February 2018