Flexible learning offers you the option of only paying tuition fees for the courses that you plan to take. On 1 September 2017, the Flexible Learning pilot has started for a number of UvA degree programmes.
Participating degree programmes 2018-2019
Please note that some of the degree programmes participating in the pilot for 2017-2018 are taught in Dutch, some in English, and some are offered in both languages.
- Economics and Business (Dutch and English-taught programmes)
- Business Economics (English-taught programme)
- Fiscal Economics (Dutch-taught programme)
- Econometrics and Operations Research (Dutch and English-taught programmes)
- Communication Science (Dutch and English-taught programmes)
- Sociology (Dutch-taught programme)
- Biology (Dutch-taught programme)
- Labour Law (Dutch-taught programme)
- Educational Sciences (Dutch-taught programme)
- Communication Science (English-taught programme)
- Sociology (English-taught programme)
- Urban and Regional Planning (English-taught programme)
- Human Geography (English-taught programme)
- Earth Sciences (English-taught programme)
If you were registered as a flexible learning student for the whole 2017-2018 academic year, you can continue to do so (for the same degree programme).
In 20180-2019, flexible learning is also open to UvA students who meet the following conditions:
- you fall under the statutory tuition fee rate (not under the institutional fee); and
- you must have received a positive study advice or will receive this no later than 31 August 2018; and
- the relevant degree programme must be participating in the pilot and the maximum number of participants in the pilot for the degree programme and for the UvA in total must not yet have been reached.
As a flexible learning student, you have the same rights as a regular student; the Teaching and Examination Regulations of the relevant degree programme apply.
- You can register from 8 May, when re-enrolment commences, by ticking the 'flexible learning' option in Studielink.
- Registration is possible up to and including 31 May. Students keen to maximise their chances are advised to register immediately on 8 May. You will then participate in the enrolment lottery on 9 May. If any remaining places are available after this draw has taken, students will be accepted for the pilot in the order in which they registered, until the maximum number of participants is reached for the degree programme and/or for the UvA.
The number of places available in the Flexible Learning pilot is limited. It is important that you think carefully before registering. If you later decide to withdraw your request, your place cannot be taken by another student.
Available places per programme
Economics & Business (BSc)
Fiscal Economics (BSc)
Econometrics and Operations Research (BSc)
|Law||60222||Labour Law (Master's)||15|
Communication Science (BSc)
Educational Sciences (MSc)
Communication Science (MSc)
Urban &Regional Planning (MSc)
Human Geography (Msc)
Earth Sciences (MSc)
What does flexible learning cost? Flexible learning means that you will pay per course:
- The tuition fees payable are based on the number of ECTS credits per course, plus a surcharge of 15%. You pay 38.45 euros per ECTS credit.
- A minimum tuition fee rate of six ECTS credits applies.
- You will receive no reimbursement of tuition fees. If you deregister for a course prior to the start of the semester, you will not be charged for that course – except for the minimum charge of 6 ECTS credits – unless you still take the course and/or complete the exam after all.
Is flexible learning a good option for me?
Are you wondering whether flexible learning is a good option for you? Get in touch with your student adviser.
Frequently Asked Questions
For quick answers to all questions about flexible learning, check the FAQ.