Archiving your Master Thesis
Archiving your Master Thesis is an essential part of the preparation for your graduation.
Your Thesis needs to be uploaded before you can request your diploma.
Submitting your Master Thesis
Go to the website of Science in Progress (via the link mentioned below) and take the following steps:
1. Log in with your UvA-netID
2. Fill in your name, discipline and the e-mail address of the UvA-supervisor (being the person who assesses the Thesis and is responsible for the final mark). This approval can only be given by a member of the scientific staff of the UvA. In some cases, this will be the second assessor of the thesis.
3. Upload the requested files. You will be asked to upload:
- your thesis as one file (preferably PDF, Word and HTML are accepted as well)
- Abstract (1 page in PDF, Word or HTML)
- Popular abstract, in two versions: English (obligatory) and Dutch (optional). Prepare these as unformatted text. You are going to copy-paste these texts into two text windows.
- Photograph of author (optional) in jpg, jpeg, png or gif format.
- Most presentable picture relating to your thesis in jpg, jpeg, png, or gif format.
4. The system will generate an e-mail to the supervisor with a link which will enable the supervisor to look at and check the thesis.
5. The supervisor confirms that this is the right thesis (this means that these are the contents for which the student has obtained a final mark of at least a 6), and that the thesis may be submitted to the files. This check replaces the signature on the hard copy of the thesis.
6. In addition the supervisor indicates whether the thesis may be disclosed to the public. If the student objects to public disclosure of his/her thesis, (s)he is advised to indicate this to the supervisor in advance. In case a student objects to publication of the full thesis text (s)he has to make sure that the supervisor is aware of this, i.e. before the full text of the thesis is published on Science in Progress. Please note: if the student objects to publishing the full thesis text he/she will have to make sure the abstract does not contain any information under embargo. The abstract should and will always be published.
7. The supervisor has to send the final mark for the research project (dated and signed) to the Education Service Centre, following the same procedure as for the result of an examination. The final mark will be given after the thesis defense.
8. After the supervisor has followed this procedure an e-mail will be generated to the Education Service Centre, so they will be informed that the application of the certificate may be completed.
9. In case there is no reaction from the supervisor, the student's application for a certificate will not be completed, and no certificate will be issued.
After the supervisor has verified the thesis, the title and abstract of the thesis (+ illustration) are published on the Science in Progress website. The full text of the thesis is kept in a private FNWI database for quality control purposes, in all cases. If there are no objections from the supervisor and the student against publication, the full text of the thesis is also published on Science in Progress, as well as on Thesis Online, a UvA wide thesis repository.